This is going to be one of those posts were I tell you what I learned along the way... Cause I definitely learned a reason why during this project.
After finding out my favorite fabric shop (Jenny's) has a selection of Batman fabrics, my hubby wanted me to make him some thing. I said OK, and he did not ask what I would be making. Which is so fun, especially when we get to the part of the project where he is wondering what the heck I an ironing over this beloved fabric and what this could possibly end up as. Lucky for me he was excited about a lunch pail.
I bought 3/4 yard of these three prints, although I could have used 1/2 yard of just 2 of them. I only used 2 prints, and some iron on vinyl and velcro to close it with. And some insulated batting. I was going for your classic paper lunch sac, but with fabric, since all the lunch bags I saw online were looking purse-ish once you add a strap. I had planned on the top folding down, then velcro-ing, but then it would have only held an apple. A very small apple...
I cut my fabric 14 inches tall by 12 inches wide, and ironed my iron on vinyl to my interior fabric. Then I cut out the lower corners 2x3 inches. I found out if you are going to box your corners, they need to be exactly the same, 3x3 or 2x2, cause if you don't you'll have to go with the longer side or have holes. So the bottom ended up square instead of rectangle.
The velcro went on last; I waited till the bag was finished to see where the best placement would be since I was planning to roll the top down to close. Rolling the top meant no space for food, so we were going to scrap the whole thing as too small, and try again another day. Luckily Tim asked if we could just put the velcro at the top, and of course I should have thought of that, so we did it, and here it is.